11.05.2010

Miami + Art =


Hey all so I think I've contacted everyone about this, but I thought I would go ahead and post the details here in case I missed anyone.

I am taking part in an exhibition with the Winkleman Gallery in Miami during the art fair chaos this December. I'm recreating a piece that I think most of you have seen. For those that haven't its the Free Art Stand and it is exactly what it sounds like, a stand... with free art. Below I've included the text that I typed up for the official call-


I've been invited to present a new and improved version of a work titled Free Art Stand for #rank, an exhibition organized by the Winkleman Gallery (NYC), to take place during fair week in Miami. As many of you know Miami, during the first week of December, becomes the center of the art world; hosting numerous fairs, events and exhibitions, Miami is a flutter with contemporary art. The following is only a small list of some of the events taking place this year: Art Basel, Scope, NADA, Pulse, Art Miami, and the one hosting the “Free Art Stand”, SEVEN. I would like to invite you to join me in the Free Art Stand, as one of my collaborators during the exhibition. I am asking artists to submit up to 4 high quality pieces of work, to be included in the exhibition. During the exhibition I will be manning the stand answering questions about the donated works. Each piece will have a corresponding details page with artist contact info and bio, that will be given upon request. The Free Art Stand questions the idea of payment & capital for works. Is there a value in having your work distributed in the atmosphere that surrounds major art fairs like SCOPE or Frieze or Basel or any of the numerous, large commercially profitable international art fairs? Is there a long term value in that situation? in future connections? in the dissemination of ideas? is it cultural capital? The Free Art Stand is a venue for a dialog surrounding how art is valued in the contemporary market place and how its assessed culturally."

So anyone that is interested that I haven't been able to contact please give me a shout and I can forward all the details for you. seannaftel[at]mac.com

Also anyone in the Baltimore area the weekend of 12 November stop by Jordan Faye Contemporary and check out the mess Chris and I will be making.

1 comment:

  1. So Miami went exceptionally well, as some of you already know. I ended up giving away almost 500 pieces over the 2 days that Free Art Stand was up. SEVEN was just as I expected, a load of art world people, gallerists, dealers, collectors. It was an amazing experience! I was rushed a few times and could only have brief conversations with the collector coming up to me. But, most of the people were very patient and loved the fact that they were able to came and look/handle work without dealing with some gallery assistant giving them a sales pitch.

    The second day at O Cinema was also incredible. TOTALLY different crowd and venue. Where I was inside amongst other works a SEVEN, I was outside in front of the building across from a major collection(Rubell Collection) at O Cinema. Not only was the location completely different from the previous day, but the collector coming to the stand were not insiders. It was a load of normal, off the street Miami locals looking at what had dropped into the city. I was able to talk to people from the neighborhood (mostly Cuban), art students in for the fairs, other artists (mostly local) and a few tourists interested in the fringe events.

    All said and done it was an amazing experience and one that I think might be doing again this next year in the DC area (if all things work out).

    Anyone in NYC on 30th of December should head over to Winkleman Gallery at 6pm. Jen Dalton & Bill Powhida are putting together a session to talk about #rank (SEVEN) and what its outcomes were during fair week. If you can't be there it will be webcasted live. I don't know where, but I'm sure you can find it on the Winkleman site or hashtagclass.com.

    ReplyDelete